This mosque was built in 1634-35 A.D. during the reign of Mughal Emperor SHAH JEHAN by Hakim Shaikh Ilm-ud-din Ansari, commonly known as Nawab Wazir Khan, who was Governor of Lahore till 1639 A.D. The mosque was completed in about 7 years. The mosque is inside the Inner City and is easiest accessed from Delhi Gate.
The entire mosque is built with small bricks laid in “Kanker lime” with a sprinkling of red sand-stone. Even the grills are in terracotta. The outstanding architectural features are its octagonal four corner minarets 107 feet high decorated with MOSAIC TILES. A bazar consisting of 22 shops forms an integral part of plan of the mosque which is the first ever provided in a mosque. The shops are in two parallel rows with a brick-paved passage in between.