The bridge of boats across the Indus River and the Attock fort, seen from Khairabad, taken by John Burke in 1878. John Burke accompanied the Peshawar Valley Field Force, one of three British Anglo-Indian army columns deployed in the Second Afghan War [1878-80], despite being rejected for the role of official photographer.
Photograph with a view looking over the houses of the town towards the Baloch Lines of the Karachi Cantonment, taken by an unknown photographer, c.1900, from an album of 46 prints titled “Karachi Views”. Karachi – one of the world’s largest metropolises.
Bazaar street at Shikarpur in Sindh, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1890s. The mud daub roof, supported on a wooden framework, is largely collapsed. The historic town of Shikarpur, founded in the 17th century, was once an important trading centre. Due to its strategic location on the caravan routes of the 17th century, Shikarpur became the greatest commercial city in Sindh. Its merchants and bankers held commercial relations with all the principal markets of Central Asia, including Khorasan, Bukhara and Samarkand. Commercial cities of the Muslim world were known for their central covered bazaars and Shikarpur was no exception, its bazaar, lined with shops mostly run by Hindu merchants, ran through the centre of the old city, which is now much decayed.
Shrine of Zind Pir at Sukkur in the Shikarpur District of Sindh in Pakistan, taken by Henry Cousens in 1896-7. This view looks across the causeway towards the entrance to the tomb. Cousens wrote in the Progress Report of the Archaeological Survey of Sindh, 1897, “Upon the upper side of Bukkur, and joined to it at low water, is the compact little island upon which, under the cool shade of some large trees, is the famous shrine of Zinda or “Jind Pir”. The island has been raised and protected against the corrosion of the river by retaining walls of strong rubble masonry all around. The great gateway facing Rohri is a far more imposing structure than the mean little domed shrine itself. The latter occupies the centre of the island, and is a remarkable plain small square building surmounted by a low dome.
View on approaching Lahore from West – 1908 [Badshahi Masjid can clearly be seen].
Sukkur in 1860’s.
Lawrence and Montgomery Halls, Lahore. Two large Halls for public meetings built by subscription in honour of Sir John Lawrence and Sir Robert Montgomery.
Pakistan Pre-Independence class and Map.
Pedestrian traffic on the street, Lahore – 1946. Photographed by Margaret Bourke-White.
Kabul River, Peshawar – 1878.